Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Past Work



Last year, I did a series that took on it's own form.  I have been shooting nudes for a while now, but last year I decided I would branch out and try something different.  A photo professor had described my photos as "seductive" and based on some personal things I was going through, I didn't want my work described that way.  I wanted to cut out the sensuality and I wanted to work with food. I have always felt challenged when it comes to shooting food, so I wanted to give it a go.  After weeks of shooting and reshooting, I was not pleased with the work.  So, I grabbed a book of photos by Edward Weston and I returned to the drawing board.  I have always loved his work and I decided that attempting to stifle the sensuality that my photos naturally have was a bad idea. Instead, I decided to incorporate the sensuality into the shots of food in a playful way.  This is what came to be.
Because of my color palette of choice, my first contact sheet looked like something like a page out of Martha Stewart Living.



Click images to enlarge.


I didn't mind it.  I liked the playful nature and commercial look the color gave the photos.  So, I used the color against stark white backgrounds to create a play on the idea that sexuality is used in advertising to sell things that probably don't even need it. If there are two things I love equally in this world, they're food and sex.  I worked with it, and this is what I came up with.


Click images to enlarge.









                        











I'm partial to the sexy onion. 



No comments:

Post a Comment